Yvonne Okwara’s take on colorism
Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well. On this post, I am going to share my thoughts on what Yvonne Okwara’s (a Kenyan news anchor on Citizen TV) sentiments on colorism in the Kenya media spaces.
This is what Yvonne Okwara had to say about colorism;
My thoughts on the above video:
- I am happy that Yvonne addressed the issue which many people consider non-existent or exaggerated.
- Dark skinned people bear the brunt of being associated with the most hideous traits and that needs to stop.
- The media needs to value and embrace representation and inclusivity in all dimensions.
- Colorism is not an illusion. It is a real thing.
- Yvonne was very right on what she said about the issue.
It would be very helpful if more people especially Kenyans, would engage in honest conversations surrounding colorism, since the first step to solving a problem is the acceptance and acknowledgment of the issue.
Thanks for reading, see you on the next post.