As earlier discussed in the previous posts, it is clear that dark skinned women have been defeminized for a long time and the detrimental effects of this idea need to be stopped.Below are some tips that will help dark skinned women get back their long lost femininity. It is imperative for a lady to be in touch with her femininity for physical and emotional health.
- Dedicate a day to wear something feminine; Shakespeare asserts in Hamlet, ‘For the apparel ofts proclaims the man.’ If you dress in a feminine way (wearing skirts, dresses, polka dots, florals, patterns etc.) then you are more likely to feel like a lady and the society will view you and treat you like one. You might probably have trouble wearing skirts and dresses but it is worth a try. You can spare a day in a week to wear that skirt or dress. Skirt Saturdays might help you to begin with and then work your way up to wearing more feminine clothes on a daily.
- Wear some makeup; I know I sound superficial at this point but it is important for women to embrace their femininity through the desire to achieve beauty and art. Beauty and creation are part of femininity. Tis does not mean that you should look like a drag queen. Just learning to accentuate your features through the art of makeup will make you connect with your femininity and the bonus tip is that you will be more aesthetically pleasing.
- Hang out with other women; Meet up with your girlfriends on a weekend. Strive to do something ‘traditionally feminine’ during those meetings. Cook together, attend an only ladies yoga class, talk about vaginal health and save your boring work places woes and annoying boyfriends for your journals. Talk about your menses as your wear makeup together before going out. Make your meetings as feminine as possible. This will help you keep in touch with your femininity.
- Awaken your senses; Enhance your sense of smell, touch, taste,hearing and vision. Decorate your space with some flowers, cute mugs, pictures or something beautiful that resonates with your style. Follow up with some scented candles or perfume. Not only will your place smell and look nice, it will also enhance your sense of smell and sight. Taste every ingredient in that cocktail juice as you gently massage oils on to your skin. That is a win for your sense of taste and sense of touch.
- Learn how to walk in heels: Now this is my favorite part. Heels are just unarguably feminine. They just make you look and feel feminine and just spice up an outfit. Start out with a low inched heel and work your way up to an inch that you are comfortable with. You do not have to break your back, block heels are always a mood and you can always rock them if the pointed ones are ‘killing’ you.
- Smile: Yes, I am fully aware that the ‘ resting bitch faces’ are in style but smiling is not so bad after all. This is not to mean that you should smile at all times but smiling might just make you feel better and be generally happier.
- Nurture: You do not have to be a mother for you to nurture. Visit children’s homes, volunteer to take care of the old. If that is not your cup of tea, get a pet or adopt a tree and see how fulfilled you will feel to watch your pet or tree grow.Teach your daughters, nieces etc. about femininity.
- Wear colorful clothes; Yeah neutrals are good but try to add some color to your wardrobe.
- Practice self care; Remember to put yourself first, eat healthy, exercise, meditate and do something that you love. Your ‘me’ time is so important.
- Cook; You can take sometime to cook something for your friends, family or yourself .It is a good way to create and be in touch with your femininity.
Those are the tips I got to share. Feel free to add a tip on the comment section and share your thought. Have a blessed wee