Hello my readers, today I am going continue from where we left from the previous post. Below are six steps that will dark skinned black women revamp themselves.
- Stop obsessing over light skinned women: There are many light skinned women who are absolutely gorgeous. It is good to acknowledge their beauty. However, obsessing over their beauty may make you forget to put in the effort they put in order for them to be as gorgeous as they are. Instead of obsessing over them, you could use that time to learn how to do your make up or book a spa session. We got to put effort into our appearance, remain cute and unbothered. Once we stop obsessing about them, we will be as comfortable as our sister in the picture below is.
- Affirm as if your life depends on it: You got a brain in your head and shoes on your feet. Therefore, you can steer yourself in any direction you deem fit. Your thoughts surely become your reality. Buy yourself a cute notebook and a pen to match it. Write down an affirmation every morning before you go to the washroom. Remind yourself the affirmation through the day. Be intentional and positive with your affirmations. This will help you move past all the negativity that is thrown at dark skinned black women.
- Get inspired: Feed your mind with amazing information about dark skinned women. Take advantage of social media to collect as much inspiration as possible. Here is a list of inspiration sources that I recommend:Chrissie on YouTube, Divine Dark Skin on Instagram, @itsjustaajlove and @ darkskinwomen on Instagram. There are many other sources but those may be a good place to start from. This is a picture of @itsjustajlove on Instagram.
- Reject underhanded compliments: You can be nice nasty while dismissing the infamous ‘you are too pretty to be dark skinned’ line. Remember to speak fluent sarcasm to those people. We cannot be teaching people to value us any longer. You can just remind the uncultured person that you are just pretty. When we accept such demeaning compliments the negative stereotypes will never end.
- Find your style: It is very unfortunate that we live in a very superficial world. People see style before they hear what you have to say. As a dark skinned black woman you were probably told to take your math homework more seriously when your light skinned counterparts were taken to beauty pageants competitions. It is deeply ingrained in you to value your intellectual prowess at the expense of your personal style. However, that can change once you realize that it is very possible to have impeccable style and an intellectual standard that matches it. Drop the ugly skirts, get stylish eye glasses, get a lingerie and a good pair of heels. You can top the class and still look presentable. Drop the ‘looks do not matter’ attitude. You can do both.
- You already got game, so act like it; People hate more than we would want to admit. Dark skinned women have been told that they cannot wear bright clothes or makeup. There are many negative stereotypes attached to us and we are doing a good job at debunking them. We got game so we just have to act like it.